Two versions of the Empire Dress, BurdaStyle 8/2012 #102

8-2012 102

I made these last spring, based on Burdastyle Empire Dress 8/2012 #102, but with major changes to the skirt.

08-2012 102 pattern changes

I don’t wear fitted skirts because I have wide hips and I don’t feel comfortable in them. So I changed the pattern to an a-line skirt with 6 panels, making the front and back darts into pattern lines. Something like this.

DSC04087-

This dress is made of beige jersey as a lining, with black stretchy lace overlay. I trimmed the sleeves and the neckline with cotton bias tape, left out the zipper and used a black double knit jersey for the small side pannels, as I felt this detail would be slimming. All seams were sewn using a serger.

DSC04057-

Now this one was made with fabric repurposed from a long velvet gown I made years ago and wore only once. The top is lined with black jersey and I also ommited the zipper, because I felt the dress didn’t need it.

Although I hate sewing stretchy fabrics – rather my machine hates stretchy fabrics -I’m very happy with both the dresses, they’re very comfortable and easy to wear 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Sewing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s