On my last trip to the fabric store, I came across this great remnant of pearly white faux fur that I absolutely loved. It was the last piece of this fabric they had, and it was about 50cm long (a little over half a yard). So the only garment I could think about making was a bolero jacket.
The pattern I used was BurdaStyle Bolero 09/2012 #120. I really like the shape of it and thought it would look great in the faux fur. I also required a simple pattern that I could execute quicky, because I wanted to wear this to a dinner with my friends.
Here’s the fabric, isn’t it lovely?
The small amount of fabric I had was just enough to cut the pattern pieces. The only change I made to the pattern was to omit the sleeve darts, I felt they were unnecessary in this material. Also, I switched the jersey lining to regular polyester lining.
Here’s the faux fur pieces sewn together.
When I got to cutting the lining, I realized I didn’t buy enough *facepalm*
I was in a rush and totally forgot that the lining bolt is not as wide as the fur. So my solution was to use another piece of lining I had (light pink), to make a couple of patches and placed them on the sleeve backs. I chose this placement because I thought this would be the less noticeable spot.
This is how the patches looked like after the lining’s sleeve pieces were sewn together. Not too bad.
Here’s the finished bolero on my brand new dummy my partner got me for my birthday 🙂
A closer look at the texture of the fabric. I’m totally in love!
I think it came out really nice for a rushed project. The irony was, on the night I was supposed to wear it, the weather was too warm and I ended up just carrying it on my arm all night… 😛